Sunday, March 2, 2008

What does Taipan want to be when he grows up?

A Jedi!!

He told us that multiple times last night. We watched a Barney episode at my MIL's about what the kids want to be when they grow up. He was very excited about being a Jedi, and talked about it after we got home too. I told him he could maybe be a Jedi now, but he'd rather wait until he grows up.

Even though I know more about Star Wars now than I did three months ago, I was surprised that the Wikipedia entry for Jedi said that they are known for "observance of a religion founded on something called "The Force" ". I had no idea that religion was part of it at all. I guess I'm not that surprised, but I'd never thought if it that way. I'm curious to do more reading about Jedis now.

Y: I actually think Wikipedia is wrong here.  I'm under the impression that the Jedi Order is more of a philosophical movement vs. religious... much like Taoism isn't considered a religion (at least I don't think it is).  A better source for all info Star Wars is Wookieepedia.

According to Wookieepedia:
The Jedi Order, later known as the Old Jedi Order, was an ancient monastic peacekeeping organization unified by its belief and observance of the Force, specifically the light side. The Jediwere the guardians of peace and justice in the Galactic Republic, and became the most famous of the various groups that relied on the Force for their power. Led by a series of Jedi Councils, the Order grew over the millennia despite facing many trials, most often threats from the Sith, wielders of the dark side of the Force.

No comments: